Limited entry

Restricted by glass

Glass is a rather peculiar material. With a surface that is simultaneously fragile yet strong. It is fragile in the sense that it is a material easily damaged when it comes in contact with force, but it is also strong in its standalone display that either tells people to not go too close or to treat it with care when they approach glass.

On my visit to the Roca London gallery, I was on a lookout for how entrances are presented. The use of glass is seen from the entrance, from afar you can already get a glimpse of the inside with curved structures. Due to the transparency of glass it openly allows people to see what’s on the other side and naturally invites people to walk through. When you walk in the gallery the structure of the walls and the floor has curved lines which directs you to each room. The gallery has an open structure and soon I came across a room with glass walls as opposed to the majority of concrete walls surrounding it. Everything was visible, although you could see the whole room through the glass, this room had the impression that is was off limits to visitors. It was an empty room, but one which also looked like an office where meetings were held.

The transparency of glass is intriguing, sometimes the glass acts as a barrier in that you can see what’s behind the glass but you cannot go near it. Other times the transparency of the glass is an open invitation much like the front displays of shops windows. With the glass door inside the Roca London gallery I find it interesting how the space is openly displayed yet it reflects a closed access.