Two ends

Two ends

During our group visit to Ladbroke grove, we all set out to explore our own areas within the site to relate to our own project. Most of the area within Ladbroke Grove are residential which is why I set out to look at how the different exits and entrances are presented in a residential area. There was a noticeable division between the higher end of the street and the lower end of the street. The higher end had brighter colours with colours from cream to white, high walls, it has a cleaner image. While the lower end had darker colours such as grey and brown, with low ceilings, the area looked worn down. Both areas had that unapproachable atmosphere. I wonder why the lower end has the generic image with dark colours. The other day I was talking to my friend who is also in the same expanded practice her theme is on prisons and we discussed how dark colours are often found in more sombre environments. The prisons have cooler colours with industrialised materials this easily affects people’s mood to a less positive state. Near Ladbroke grove the lower end has similar characteristics in that it wasn’t as colourful around the lower end of the residential space. What if it was the opposite and had more colour? What if it was brighter? the atmosphere might feel more welcoming.

Near the end of the site research our tutor asked us to think about our possible final outcome when we conclude our expanded practice and discovery into the territories and boundaries theme. For me, it was still a little early and I didn’t have an idea of what my outcome would be, so I felt a little undecided. Since I usually work with 3D models and structures I wanted to do something different, perhaps an illustration to capture the details of different types of entrances/routes. I will still continue to research and explore ideas to help me decide on my end outcome.